It’s been five years since Strike A Spark started. Five years! That’s a long time. Have I never written about myself before?
Well, nope. Not really. I’ve posted relatively personal posts–like the Just Write! challenge from Writing 101 last November–but never about me. I don’t even have a profile page! It’s long overdue, so here we go. Q&A format because I haven’t written anything in this format since the (now-outdated) FAQ on the C-Cubed blog four years ago! And because FAQs are fun.
Who are you?
I’m River. I’ve posted on-and-off for five years now. I guess you could call me a veteran blogger by now, but I still feel like I’m figuring things out! I own two blogs: Strike A Spark, my first and most precious; A Midnight Sonata, which is my haven specifically for Ball Jointed Doll-related posts. Additionally, I post to the Cyber Creations Club (C-Cubed) teen tech blog (which is reviving! Woo!) and the Tales from New Bruntum roleplaying blog, which is currently on hiatus.
What is this blog about?
Good question! It started out as solely a review blog. I had a vague idea that I would write reviews, get an Amazon Associates account and make a fortune. 😉 That didn’t work out, and I started posting about things beyond reviews, like crochet (including The Bunny Drop Project), Vocaloid, my art (still need to finish that header), and so on.
In future I’d like to discuss other things that interest me: transmedia (a sort of storytelling that utilizes various forms of media such as web sites, podcasts, games, movies, books, and so on to tell a larger story with all the component parts), careers in game design (by the way, for anyone who perked up at that, go check out the Gamasutra site, it’s awesome), edutainment (a blend of ‘education’ and ‘entertainment’–amazing when done well, horrifically boring when done badly), Halloween and other holiday traditions, and anything else that catches my fancy.
So, from review blog this has transitioned straight into a creative-pursuits blog. Quite a 180-degree turn, wouldn’t you say?
What’s your blog title mean?
When I started the blog, I wanted to provide reviews that would inspire children to read, or (more likely) inspire parents to help children choose books that would interest their children. Strike A Spark seemed like a nice, simple name to express that, since I didn’t want to go with something bland like River’s Reviews to Inspire Reading (which is actually kinda alliterative now that I think about it–maybe it would have worked). These days, the mission of inspiration is the same, which guides my posting process (though sometimes I’m lax and just post whatever’s on my mind). To reflect that, I’ve updated the blog’s tagline to read “of inspiration,” so the whole title is “Strike A Spark of inspiration.” Kinda cute, no?
Who is the blog’s audience?
Hoo boy. You just had to ask, didn’t you? Since this blog is a mixed-bag of anything that interests me, it’s hard to define an audience. Want crochet patterns? Sure. Want to learn about transmedia? I’ll cover that one day. Want to read short stories I’ve written or see art I’ve drawn? That’ll be posted too. Maybe I should have started different niche blogs for all of these subjects, but 3 1/2 blogs seems like enough to keep me busy until I am an expert at the more heavy-duty stuff.
Long story short, if you want to read a blog focused on various creative pursuits that are hopefully somewhat inspiring with a few personal posts interspersed, welcome! I’m glad to have you along.
Any 2015 goals?
- Post regularly! I’m thinking once a week, minimum. (That’s just for this blog–I’m going to post more regularly on all of them, so it’ll be more like 2-3 posts/week across 3 blogs. Though let’s not think about that right now, it sounds tiring. . . .)
- Set up a profile page! Which should be easy after today’s posts. (I love copy/paste.)
- Learn more about transmedia! Post about it! I really think it’s the future of entertainment, and am really excited to learn about it, so this one will be easy too!
- Organize my categories. . . which sounds vaguely terrifying and I’d rather not think about but really needs to be done. . . .
- Update Strike A Spark’s look! It’s currently presentable, but bland. Previously mentioned header and profile page will help fix this.
- Take up more creative works. I’m going to try my hand at short stories (which I used to avoid for some reason), and draw more, and craft more. Speaking of crafts, I’m crocheting a cowl inspired by this scarf, so that pattern is coming soon!
- Comment more often on the blogs I read. There’s a lot of cool people out there on the interwebs, and I’m too “busy” usually to take five seconds to write a comment, when hitting the like button is sooo much easier. /end sarcasm So, I’d like to break that habit this year.
- Share more of the novels, movies, webcomics, anime, graphic novels, manga, plushies, etc etc etc I like. I’ve gotten out of the habit of doing reviews, so I would occasionally like to just gush “Ohmygosh this is so awesome” and then tell you why.
- But keep aforementioned gushing to around 1/10th of total posts this year, give or take a couple of tenths.
- Have fun! Which should really go without saying, but considering that I pretty much quit blogging for a year because it just felt too much like work, I need to reexamine my priorities and make sure this one is at the top.
Now, I wonder how many I’ll accomplish this year? (That organizing-the-categories one is really worrying. . . .)
I think that’s a good place to end for now. Do you have any 2015 blogging goals?